- Kohl’s 2020 ESG Report available now on Corporate.Kohls.com
- ESG Report provides Kohl’s progress in key focus areas including Diversity & Inclusion, workplace, philanthropy, and sustainability
- Kohl’s leverages strong position as retailer of purpose to enhance the lives of its associates, customers and communities throughout 2020
MENOMONEE FALLS, Wis., April 22, 2021 – Kohl’s (NYSE: KSS) announced today the release of the company’s 2020 Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) report, providing comprehensive updates on achievements and progress in key areas including workplace and diversity and inclusion, philanthropy, sustainability, supply chain, and business continuity. ESG stewardship is a key component of the company’s strategy and vision to be the most trusted retailer of choice for the active and casual lifestyle, and these efforts guide how the business works with its partners, considers the environment, and impacts the lives of its associates, customers and the community.
“As I reflect on the dynamic year behind us, I feel immensely proud of Kohl’s and our associates. Despite the challenges of 2020, we continue to operate our company as a retailer of purpose,” said Michelle Gass, Kohl’s chief executive officer. “Our associates stepped up and faced the unprecedented challenges of the past year, prioritizing the health and safety of our customers and associates. We continued to make great strides in our efforts to improve the lives of all families by announcing our diversity and inclusion Pledge for Progress. And we continued to illustrate our commitment to the greater good through all of our ESG efforts, including our widely-recognized environmental initiatives and our philanthropic support in communities nationwide. It is our privilege and honor to share our 2020 ESG report outlining our ongoing progress.”
Key highlights from Kohl’s 2020 ESG Report are below.
Sustainable Solutions Help Build a Better Future
With such a large retail footprint, Kohl’s is in a unique position to make resounding impacts on the planet and has set goals to ensure that impact is positive. The company’s sustainability strategy is guided by leveraging business practices and decisions that enhance the objectives of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
- 2025 Sustainability Goals Progress: In 2019, Kohl’s set sustainability goals, including quantitative targets focused on climate action, waste and recycling, and sustainable sourcing. In the last year, the company has made measurable progress towards these goals, including:
- Achieving its waste and recycling goal to divert 85% of waste from landfills;
- Achieving 164 solar and wind locations and 101 locations for EV charging stations; and
- As part of the company’s sustainable sourcing efforts, 80% of facilities producing Kohl’s products have completed the Higg Index Environmental Module.
- Sustainability Awards and Partnerships: Kohl’s is proud to have received several awards and acknowledgements during 2020 for its sustainable initiatives, including the following:
- S&P Global’s Sustainability Yearbook for the first time in 2021
- Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) North America listing for the third consecutive year
- Barron’s list of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies for the second consecutive year
- Leadership level A- on the CDP’s 2020 Climate Change disclosure for the second consecutive year
Diversity & Inclusion at Kohl’s
Kohl’s is committed to empowering more families through equity, Diversity & Inclusion. In 2020, Kohl’s made its Diversity & Inclusion Pledge for Progress outlining how the company will take action to deliver meaningful change for the good of Our People, Our Customers and Our Community.
- Our People: In 2020, to further improve the company’s effectiveness and relatability, all of Kohl’s recruiters completed Unconscious Bias, Influencing, Diversity Sourcing and Diversity 101 training. Kohl’s recruiting efforts have a strengthened focus on education, training and sourcing strategies for increasing its diverse talent pipeline.
- Our Customers: In 2020, Kohl’s launched an in-house Diversity Design Council to develop, purchase and curate culturally-relevant products. The council consists of associates from across Product Development and Merchandising teams. Members are both allies and individuals whose experiences represent the diverse customers Kohl’s aims to reach.
- Our Community: Kohl’s created a Supplier Diversity team in 2020 to embed and activate supplier diversity best practices across its entire supply chain to support the company’s pledge to double spending among diverse suppliers by 2025. Additionally of note in 2020, Kohl’s strengthened its commitment to the company’s hometown with an additional $1 million donation to five nonprofit organizations that serve diverse communities.
It Starts with Kohl's Associates: Commitment to Inspiring and Empowering Families to Lead Fulfilled Lives
Behind Kohl’s success is its winning team of talented associates who embody the company’s values. Kohl’s is committed to attracting, growing and engaging diverse talent who will drive the company’s purpose.
- Total Well-Being: Kohl’s is proud to contribute to its associates’ total well-being year-round to enable each individual to bring their best to work. Associates are provided the opportunity to take advantage of the company’s Healthy Rewards program, wellness centers, and pediatric care and an on-site daycare that can support up to 450 children of its corporate associates. More than 30,000 visits were made to Kohl’s wellness centers in 2020.
- Culture of Appreciation: Kohl’s prioritizes and fosters a culture of appreciation, in part leveraging the company’s Recognizing Greatness platform. Recognizing Greatness enables associates to give shout-outs to individuals and teams who have gone above and beyond. More than 2 million recognitions have been submitted since the program launched in 2015.
- Attracting Top Talent: As the country adjusted to a new normal, Kohl’s continued to offer its internship program for students across the country in a virtual format. The 2020 program virtually hosted nearly 500 college students from 150 colleges and universities nationwide. Nearly 60% were hired to key full-time positions in departments like Merchandising, Marketing, Store Management, Finance, Human Resources, Technology, and Logistics.
Healthy Communities Help Support Healthy Families
Kohl’s believes healthy communities help support healthy families. In 2020, Kohl’s worked to strengthen its long-standing philanthropic commitment to family health and wellness in the communities it serves.
- Kohl’s Cares: During 2020, Kohl’s raised more than $11 million for communities through Kohl’s Cares. Kohl’s Cares has raised nearly $385 million through Kohl’s Cares merchandise since 2000.
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation: Kohl’s has partnered with Alliance for a Healthier Generation through a $2 million grant over two years to run an innovative family health and wellness initiative, Kohl’s Healthy at Home. Since April 2019, Healthier Generation’s programming has reached more than 12,000 schools, representing 6.7 million students. Additionally, Kohl’s Healthy at Home initiatives have reached more than 3.4 million families across the country.
- Boys and Girls Clubs of America (BGCA): BGCA is leveraging Kohl’s grant of $3 million over three years to provide comprehensive social and emotional development training to staff. BGCA has begun integrating social-emotional development into Boys & Girls Clubs programming curricula and staff practices that will reach 4.6 million young people through 4,700 Clubs locations. In addition to Kohl’s support of Boys & Girls Clubs of America, stores across the country support local clubs as well.
Kohl’s (NYSE: KSS) is a leading omnichannel retailer. With more than 1,100 stores in 49 states and the online convenience of Kohls.com and the Kohl's App, Kohl's offers amazing national and exclusive brands at incredible savings for families nationwide. Kohl’s is uniquely positioned to deliver against its strategy and its vision to be the most trusted retailer of choice for the active and casual lifestyle. Kohl’s is committed to progress in its diversity and inclusion pledges, and the company's environmental, social and corporate governance (ESG) stewardship. For a list of store locations or to shop online, visit Kohls.com. For more information about Kohl’s impact in the community or how to join our winning team, visit Corporate.Kohls.com or follow @KohlsNews on Twitter.