- Fourth quarter diluted earnings per share of $2.20; adjusted diluted earnings per share(2) of $2.22, including $1.15 per share of incremental tax benefit driven by tax planning strategies
- Further strengthened financial position during the fourth quarter, ending with $2.3 billion in cash
- Expects full year 2021 net sales to increase in the mid-teens percentage range as compared to 2020, operating margin to be in the range of 4.5% to 5.0% and earnings per share to be in the range of $2.45 to $2.95
- Resuming capital allocation strategy in 2021, including increasing capital expenditures, reinstating dividend, resuming share repurchase program, and employing liability management strategies
MENOMONEE FALLS, Wis.--(BUSINESS WIRE)—March 2, 2021-- Kohl’s Corporation (NYSE:KSS) today reported results for the quarter and year ended January 30, 2021.
"After an extraordinary year managing through the pandemic, we ended the year in a very solid financial position, and we enter 2021 with strong momentum. We are pleased with the progress we are making against our strategic initiatives and we are set up to deliver a multi-year improvement in sales and operating margin. Several newly announced initiatives will come to life for our customers in the year ahead, most importantly the launch of our Sephora partnership in August,” said Michelle Gass, Kohl’s chief executive officer.
“We are committed to driving shareholder value and based on our strong financial outlook we are resuming our capital allocation strategy in 2021,” said Gass.
2021 Financial Outlook
The Company currently expects full year 2021 net sales to increase in the mid-teens percentage range as compared to the prior year, operating margin to be in the range of 4.5% to 5.0%, and earnings per share to be in the range of $2.45 to $2.95, excluding any non-recurring charges.
2021 Capital Allocation Strategy
The Company plans to resume its capital allocation strategy in 2021, including increasing capital expenditures, reinstating dividend, resuming share repurchase program, and employing liability management strategies.
- Capital expenditures: $550 million to $600 million, including the launch of its Sephora partnership, the opening of its sixth e-commerce fulfillment center and store refresh activity
- Dividend: On February 24, 2021, Kohl’s Board of Directors declared a quarterly cash dividend on the Company’s common stock of $0.25 per share. The dividend is payable March 31, 2021 to shareholders of record at the close of business on March 17, 2021.
- Share repurchase program: $200 million to $300 million
Fourth Quarter 2020 Earnings Conference Call
Kohl's will host its quarterly earnings conference call at 9:00 am ET on March 2, 2021. A webcast of the conference call and the related presentation materials will be available via the Company's web site at investors.kohls.com, both live and after the call.
Cautionary Statement Regarding Forward-Looking Information and Non-GAAP Measures
This press release contains “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. The Company intends forward-looking terminology such as “believes,” “expects,” “may,” “will,” “should,” “anticipates,” “plans,” or similar expressions to identify forward-looking statements. Such statements are subject to certain risks and uncertainties, which could cause the Company's actual results to differ materially from those anticipated by the forward-looking statements. These risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to, risks described more fully in Item 1A in the Company's Annual Report on Form 10-K, and in Item 1A of Part II in the Company's Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended May 2, 2020, which are expressly incorporated herein by reference, and other factors as may periodically be described in the Company's filings with the SEC. Forward-looking statements relate to the date initially made, and Kohl’s undertakes no obligation to update them.
In this press release, the Company provides information regarding adjusted net income (loss) and adjusted diluted earnings (loss) per share, which are not recognized terms under U.S. generally accepted accounting principles (“GAAP”) and do not purport to be alternatives to net income as a measure of operating performance. A reconciliation of adjusted net income (loss) and adjusted diluted earnings (loss) per share is provided in this release. The Company believes that the use of these non-GAAP financial measures provides investors with enhanced visibility into its results with respect to the impact of certain costs. Because not all companies use identical calculations, these presentations may not be comparable to other similarly titled measures of other companies.
Kohl’s (NYSE: KSS) is a leading omnichannel retailer. With more than 1,100 stores in 49 states and the online convenience of Kohls.com and the Kohl's App, Kohl's offers amazing national and exclusive brands at incredible savings for families nationwide. Kohl’s is uniquely positioned to deliver against its strategy and its vision to be the most trusted retailer of choice for the active and casual lifestyle. Kohl’s is committed to progress in its diversity and inclusion pledges, and the company's environmental, social and corporate governance (ESG) stewardship. For a list of store locations or to shop online, visit Kohls.com. For more information about Kohl’s impact in the community or how to join our winning team, visit Corporate.Kohls.com or follow @KohlsNews on Twitter.