- First quarter net sales and earnings exceed expectations and company raises full year 2021 financial outlook
- First quarter net sales increase 69.5%
- First quarter diluted earnings per share of $0.09; adjusted diluted earnings per share(2) of $1.05
- Strengthened financial position during the quarter, reducing long-term debt by over $500 million and ending with $1.6 billion in cash
- Raises full year 2021 net sales to increase in the mid-to-high teens percentage range as compared to 2020, operating margin to be in the range of 5.7% to 6.1% and adjusted earnings per share to be in the range of $3.80 to $4.20, excluding any non-recurring charges
MENOMONEE FALLS, Wis.--(BUSINESS WIRE)—May 20, 2021-- Kohl’s Corporation (NYSE:KSS) today reported results for the quarter ended May 1, 2021.
“We are very pleased with our strong start to 2021 with both sales and earnings materially exceeding expectations. Along with a favorable consumer spending backdrop, we continue to see our key strategic initiatives gain traction and resonate with customers. We saw momentum build through the quarter, especially in our stores where we continue to elevate the experience. We are eagerly preparing for the upcoming launch of our Sephora partnership as well as the introduction of several new exciting brands this fall,” said Michelle Gass, Kohl’s chief executive officer.
“We are positioned to capitalize on growth opportunities during the balance of 2021 and remain firmly on track to achieving our 2023 strategic goals. Based on our first quarter results, we are raising our full year 2021 guidance,” said Gass.
Updated 2021 Financial Outlook
The Company is raising its full year 2021 financial outlook to include the following:
- Net sales is now expected to increase in the mid-to-high teens percentage range compared to the previous expectation of mid-teens percentage rate increase
- Operating margin is now expected to be in the range of 5.7% to 6.1% compared to the previous expectation of 4.5% to 5.0%
- Adjusted earnings per share is now expected to be in the range of $3.80 to $4.20, excluding any non-recurring charges, compared to the previous expectation of $2.45 to $2.95
On May 12, 2021, Kohl's Board of Directors declared a quarterly cash dividend on the Company's common stock of $0.25 per share. The dividend is payable June 23, 2021 to shareholders of record at the close of business on June 9, 2021.
First Quarter 2021 Earnings Conference Call
Kohl's will host its quarterly earnings conference call at 9:00 am ET on May 20, 2021. A webcast of the conference call and the related presentation materials will be available via the Company's web site at investors.kohls.com, both live and after the call.
Cautionary Statement Regarding Forward-Looking Information and Non-GAAP Measures
This press release contains “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. The Company intends forward-looking terminology such as “believes,” “expects,” “may,” “will,” “should,” “anticipates,” “plans,” or similar expressions to identify forward-looking statements. Such statements are subject to certain risks and uncertainties, which could cause the Company's actual results to differ materially from those anticipated by the forward-looking statements. These risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to, risks described more fully in Item 1A in the Company's Annual Report on Form 10-K, which is expressly incorporated herein by reference, and other factors as may periodically be described in the Company's filings with the SEC. Forward-looking statements relate to the date initially made, and Kohl’s undertakes no obligation to update them.
In this press release, the Company provides information regarding adjusted net income (loss) and adjusted diluted earnings (loss) per share, which are not recognized terms under U.S. generally accepted accounting principles (“GAAP”) and do not purport to be alternatives to net income as a measure of operating performance. A reconciliation of adjusted net income (loss) and adjusted diluted earnings (loss) per share is provided in this release. The Company believes that the use of these non-GAAP financial measures provides investors with enhanced visibility into its results with respect to the impact of certain costs. Because not all companies use identical calculations, these presentations may not be comparable to other similarly titled measures of other companies.
Kohl’s (NYSE: KSS) is a leading omnichannel retailer. With more than 1,100 stores in 49 states and the online convenience of Kohls.com and the Kohl's App, Kohl's offers amazing national and exclusive brands at incredible savings for families nationwide. Kohl’s is uniquely positioned to deliver against its strategy and its vision to be the most trusted retailer of choice for the active and casual lifestyle. Kohl’s is committed to progress in its diversity and inclusion pledges, and the company's environmental, social and corporate governance (ESG) stewardship. For a list of store locations or to shop online, visit Kohls.com. For more information about Kohl’s impact in the community or how to join our winning team, visit Corporate.Kohls.com or follow @KohlsNews on Twitter.