Updated: August 5, 2020
Learn more about the steps that Kohl’s is taking to increase preventative safety measures for our associates and customers
At Kohl’s, the health and safety of our associates and customers has always been a priority. As the world is taking extra precautions to slow the spread of COVID-19, Kohl's is doing its part with additional safety and sanitization measures to prioritize the health and safety of its associates and customers.
E-Commerce Fulfillment Facilities and Customer Service Centers
Kohl’s has comprehensive cleaning and sanitization protocols in place at e-commerce fulfillment centers and customer service centers to maintain a safer environment for associates working during this time. We have also taken steps to enable work from home capabilities for functions that can work remotely.
Within each building, we continue to conduct comprehensive daily cleaning and sanitization measures, especially high touch areas like railings and doors. We have also installed additional safety precautions throughout the buildings, including touchless building entry so associates do not need to touch doors when they enter or leave and markers on the ground throughout the building to help associates meet social distancing guidelines.
Before an associate enters the building, we are implementing temperature checks for all associates upon arriving to work. We have also implemented additional precautions for our associates including providing face masks, requiring gloves for materials handling where appropriate, frequent hand washing, using hand sanitizer, providing cleaning supplies, and proactively disinfecting shared surfaces, and requiring anyone who feels sick to stay home.
Kohls.com Store Drive Up
While many stores remain temporarily closed for the health and safety of our customers and associates, we have a limited number of associates fulfilling online orders at our stores and providing Store Drive Up service.
All associates working in our stores to fulfill and ship online orders and to provide Kohl’s Store Drive Up service are encouraged to practice social distancing and we are providing protective masks and gloves for their use.
Store Drive Up provides limited contact between our customers and associates. A Kohl’s associate will bring a customer’s order out, verify the order through their car window and place it directly in the backseat or trunk. Customers are not asked to get out of their car.
Kohl's Stores: Enhanced Cleaning and Safety Measures
As Kohl’s stores reopen, customers and associates can expect to see the following safety measures in place to provide a safer and healthier environment for everyone.
For Our Customers
Kohl's customers can expect to see the following changes at Kohl's stores, to support ongoing health and safety precautionary measures:
- Kohl’s has reduced operating hours, which may vary by location. Please visit the Store Locator on Kohls.com for shopping hours at your local store.
- Kohl’s is offering dedicated shopping hours for at-risk individuals including seniors, those who are pregnant or have underlying health conditions every Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- Signage and floor decals have been placed throughout the store to encourage six feet of social distancing, with a particular focus on high traffic areas including at customer service and checkout.
- For stores that have two or more entrances, one entrance has been closed and each store will operate with a single point of entry to the store.
- An associate greeter will be stationed at the front of the store with the sole role of welcoming customers, sanitizing carts between each use and limiting occupancy, as appropriate.
- In-aisle fixturing has been removed to increase space for customers to pass through the aisles while adhering to social distancing guidelines.
- Kohl’s has installed protective barriers at all registers and will offer touchless payment through Kohl’s Pay on the Kohl’s App to make the checkout experience as contactless as possible.
- Checkout lanes will be cleaned by an associate after each customer transaction, including the sanitation of the pin pad and counter.
- Hand sanitizer will be readily available at each register and throughout the store for customer use.
- Fitting rooms will be closed until further notice and the use of beauty testers has been suspended to reduce and minimize touch points.
- Kohl’s has made adjustments to the returns process to minimize contact between the customer and associate. In addition, to support social distancing, Kohl’s will accept Amazon Returns in a separate location within the store.
- Kohl’s will continue to facilitate regular cleaning of our stores, including all restrooms, entrances and all customer touchpoints, during all operating hours by a third party cleaning service.
Kohl’s will continue to offer limited-contact drive up service for buy online, pick up in store and ship to store orders. Customers can simply drive up and park in designated parking spots at their local Kohl’s and an associate will place their Kohls.com order directly in their trunk or backseat.
For Our Associates
- All Kohl’s associates will participate in mandatory wellness and temperature checks before their shifts. Any associate who has a temperature or exhibits other common COVID-19 symptoms will be asked to return home and seek medical attention.
- All Kohl’s associates will wear masks and gloves while in the store.
- All associates will undergo health and safety training on new policies and procedures before returning to work.
- Kohl’s has reduced the number of associates in the store at one time and is adjusting associate placement within the store as necessary to adhere to social distancing guidelines.
- Kohl’s has physically rearranged breakrooms, training rooms and offices to encourage proper social distancing.
- Kohl’s has set up several associate sanitation stations to provide easy access to hand sanitizer and cleaning supplies, and continues to encourage healthy behaviors in accordance with CDC guidelines, such as thorough hand washing, regular usage of hand sanitizer and cleaning measures for surfaces.
Kohl’s received an “A” grade from Shop Safely, an organization that scores retailers on the safety of their shopping experience during the COVID-19 pandemic, through metrics that measure convenience, safety protocols and returns. Click here to learn more.
Kohl’s will continue to assess store reopenings and health and safety measures on an ongoing basis. View the interactive experience below to learn more about how we’re creating a safer environment for customers and associates in our stores.